FVAP’s Housing & Employment Justice project was created to address the widespread issue of homelessness and loss of employment as a direct result of domestic violence. California and Federal laws provide protections for survivors facing housing and employment crises, but survivors, advocates, housing providers and employers are often unaware of these protections.
To better protect survivors and inform the people who serve them, FVAP provides trainings and on-call legal assistance to advocates and attorneys statewide about the unique protections that survivors have when it comes to housing and employment. FVAP’s goal is to ensure that advocates and attorneys have the knowledge and tools to empower survivors to obtain or maintain safe housing and employment.
Learn more how the Housing and Employment Justice Program may be able to help you in our Housing and Employment Justice Program Info Sheet.
Employment Law Resources for Survivors
- Survivor’s Toolkit for Employment Rights in California
- Survivors’ Employment Protections from Disability Laws
- Getting Time Off Work to Get Relief from Abuse
- Survivors and Unemployment Services
- Survivor’s with Criminal Records Employment Rights
- Template Letters for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Advocates to Certify Work Absence
Housing Law Resources for Survivors
- Housing Toolkit: Helping Survivors Obtain Housing
- Housing Toolkit: Helping Survivors Move Safely
- Survivors of Domestic Violence and Letters of Priority Entitlement (LOPE)
- Move-Out Order Tip Sheet
- How Do I Get a Court to Reach the Additional Requests in My Restraining Order?
- Housing and Employment: Legal Rights of Survivors of Domestic Violence (Training video)
- California Eviction Defense Packet
- California Lock Changes Packet
- VAWA 2013 Know Your Rights Brochure in English and Spanish
- Survivors Have Rights and Protections to Move with a Voucher
- Federal Housing Rights of Survivors with Limited English Proficiency
- The Role of State Housing Agencies in Improving Survivors’ Access to and Retention of LIHTC Housing
Other Housing Law Resources:
- The Right to a Safe Home Act: An Overview for California Advocates
- CA COVID-19 Eviction Protections (Video playlist by Legal Services of Northern California) – Available in English and Spanish
- CA Eviction Protections: COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act of 2020 (Video playlist by Legal Services of Northern California) – Available in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese