These tools are designed to address legal issues that abuse survivors often face in California. FVAP’s legal resources are free for survivors of domestic violence/intimate partner abuse and the people who support them; California nonprofit employees; California legal aid employees; private attorneys currently representing a survivor of domestic violence pro bono in California; members of the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence; and members of Legal Aid Association of California. For questions or comments on these materials, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Resources are specific to California law only. The law is constantly changing, so all information should be verified before relying on it. Viewing these materials does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between you and FVAP.
Anything submitted to a court in California, whether at trial or on appeal, must conform to one of the following 2 writing styles. (Required by California Rules of Court, rule 1.200) (1) The California Style Manual (CSM), fourth edition, which is available for free online thanks to Sixth District Appellate Program, a private law firm. (2) The Bluebook, which may be available at your local law library. Information on key differences between these 2 styles is available here thanks to the UCLA Writing Center.
The Confidentiality and Mandated Reporting Toolkit includes:
- Toolkit: Confidentiality and Mandated Reporting – Combined (not yet updated 2022)
- Cover Sheet (updated 2022)
- Tip Sheet: Who is and Who is Not a Mandated Reporter by Family Violence Appellate Project (updated 2022)
- Frequently Asked Questions: CONFIDENTIALITY AND MANDATED REPORTING by Family Violence Appellate Project (updated 2022)
- Sample Job Description Language for Mandated and Non-Mandated Reporters by Family Violence Appellate Project (updated 2022)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Multi-Disciplinary Teams and Mandated Reporting by Family Violence Appellate Project (updated 2022)
- 10 Tips for Tough Conversations about Confidentiality by Confidentiality Institute (updated 2022)
- Example Template Confidentiality and Mandated Reporting Policy by California Partnership to End Domestic Violence (updated 2022)
- Confidentiality and Mandated Reporting Best Practices by California Partnership to End Domestic Violence (updated 2022)
- Contact Sheet for Technical Assistance with Confidentiality and Mandated Reporting Questions by California Partnership to End Domestic Violence (updated 2022)